High Reliability, The Healthcare FM Podcast is brought to you by Gosselin/Martin Associates. Our show discusses the issues, challenges, and opportunities within the Facilities Management (FM) function.
In this episode of High Reliability, I am joined by Mike Canales. Mike is a 27-year Healthcare Engineering Professional, including 21 years spent as a hospital facility director. In 2013 he transitioned out of the hospital into what has become a natural extension and enhancement of his career. He is currently the Healthcare Engineering Program Director at Owensboro Community & Technical College in Owensboro, KY. Mike established the program at OCTC in 2013, please see for more information…
In this episode of High Reliability, we discuss the program and Mike’s career transitions, including:
- Moving from the hospital to the university environment, and the importance of recognizing your strengths (3:00);
- Figuring it out, and the 80/20 rule (10:00);
- The HCFM program, explained (19:00);
- What’s it like to be a Facility Guy in an academic world?! (29:30);
- Who is the Owensboro program for? (46:00).
Looking for a Career Change?
See the new Director opportunities that we are presently recruiting for, we have management opportunities for hospitals located in:
- Tampa, FL
- Randallstown, MD
- Iron Mountain, MI
- Burlington, VT
- Cincinnati, OH
1) Do you remember the term Survive & Advance? And what does it have to do with your career? Read the poignant story of its origins.
2) Visit our new Career Hub!